Note from the compiler:
Greetings and thank you to anyone who reads this weekly newsletter!
I hope this is a helpful resource to stay abreast of the latest developments in Japan and an entertaining list of news that interests a wide range of readers. My aim has been to be both informative and professional in the way I compile the news every week.
Here is this week’s newsletter. Be sure to check this week’s special edition (updated) on Ukraine too!
As usual, the longer version has bookmarks so you can skip over sections that are not of interest.
1. Japan One Week Into “Normalcy”
2. Government Aims to Begin Fourth Vaccination in May
3. G7 Summit
4. Japan-U.S. Developments (Kishida-Biden talks; Kishida-Emanuel visit to Hiroshima; new SMA; agreement to increase beef safeguard trigger level)
5. North Korea Tests New ICBM
6. Foreign Policy Developments (Abe-Tsai meeting; Japan-Cambodia summit; Morning Consult poll on global leaders approval rating)
7. Defense/Security Developments (JMSDF’s new multirole frigate; new legislation establishing a security clearance system)
8. Diet Proceedings (FY 2022 budget passes; tax reform-related legislation)
9. Opposition Parties Continue to Disagree Over Electoral Cooperation
10. Government to Continue Crude Oil Subsidies Until End of April
11. Government Aims for Resilient Economy
12. State of the Economy (Monthly Economic Report; number of full-time employees reaches record high; yen tumbles to ¥120 against the dollar)
13. Other Political Developments (consumers to pay more to promote renewable energy; CDP opposes ¥5,000 handout to pensioners; GOJ to consider requiring companies to disclose gender wage levels; Japan’s municipalities continue to lose citizens)
14. Other Noteworthy News (Government Issues First Power Supply Warning; SMBC Nikko Officials Charged With Market Manipulation)
15. FNN/Sankei Poll (3/21)
Image: Captain76 (CC BY-SA 3.0)