This is the 7th post introducing candidates in the Tokyo governor race.
Check the other candidate profiles using these links: Koike; Utsunomiya; Ono; Yamamoto; Sakurai; Komiyama.
The goal of these profiles is to get readers to know all the candidates on one website. I want to help people find information with minimal effort.
This post will focus on Hideyuki Takemoto and his policies.
Name/Age: Hideyuki Takemoto/64 years old
Former Occupation: Employee at Asahi Shimbun (Newspaper)
Political Party: Independent
Slogan: Take Back Tokyo
① Abolish the consumption tax
- Issue a Tokyo card & distribute it to every citizen
- Consumption tax will be paid by Tokyo when the card is used
- Corporations will pay for the “lost” consumption tax (will utilize local taxes)
② Begin negotiations with the US for the return of Yokota Air Base to Japan
- Question why the US has bases in Japan
- Return the airspace around Yokota to Japan
③ Move all utility poles underground
- Strongly urges for the abolishment of the consumption tax
- Takemoto & Yamamoto are the only candidates who discuss returning the airspace around Yokota to Japan
- One issue candidates can’t win—Takemoto probably knows that, but still spent his own money to draw attention to certain issues
12 thoughts on “Tokyo Gubernatorial Election 2020: Candidate Profile for Hideyuki Takemoto”